Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brethren, you did it to me. (Matthew 25:40)
Saint Andrew’s has a heart for outreach. We support many Collierville organizations which help to make our community a better place to live and help those in need. Our parishioners support these groups by making monetary donations and participating in hands-on volunteer opportunities.
The mission of Collierville’s Biblical History Museum is to present to the public, especially young people, the historical and cultural context of the Bible. The vision of this independent, non-denominational museum of the Bible began with a series of meetings around the kitchen table of its founding board member. Subsequent travels to Bible lands and negotiations with institutions like the Louvre in Paris and the British Museum in London led to the acquisition of a fine collection of archaeological artifacts and exact full-sized replicas of major archaeological discoveries from Bible lands. Today, visitors come from around the globe to this museum at what Parade Magazine has called “America’s Finest Main Street” on the historic town square of Collierville. They come to see the museum’s testimony to the Bible’s accuracy and historical reliability. Interim Director Don Bassett studied biblical archaeology in Israel as part of his graduate work in religious studies at Harding University Graduate School of Religion in Memphis, from which he received a master’s degree. His doctorate from Trinity Theological Seminary included historical and archeological backgrounds of the Bible. He has served 35 years in ministry, authored several books for family Bible instruction, and developed a six-year Bible class curriculum for congregational use. Assistant Nancy Bassett is the former Director of the Carter House Museum in Franklin, Tennessee, and serves as a Museum Evaluator for the American Alliance of Museums, with a degree in Museum Management from the University of Memphis. She and Don have excavated in Israel and led numerous tours to Biblical sites for interested students of the Scriptures.the Collierville Town Square offers educational opportunities for children and adults regarding the historical and cultural backgrounds of the Bible. They have a reference library and offer an annual archaeology workshop.
Each December we adopt families from Schilling Middle School. Known as our Collierville Angels, we purchase clothing and toys for the children. Their families also receive gift cards for groceries. Cindy Brunson coordinates this project.
Collierville Food Pantry
Saint Andrew’s provides volunteers to distribute food at the Collierville Food Pantry each January and August. The late Carol Landers, wife of The Rev. Dave Landers, who was Rector of Saint Andrew’s at the time, was instrumental in founding the Collierville Food Pantry in 1984.
The Collierville Literacy Council, a community non-profit agency, develops programs, trains volunteer tutors, and utilizes technological resources to teach adults comprehensive literacy skills rooted in reading, writing, and critical thinking. The council was founded in 1987 by a group of volunteers who saw the need in Collierville for an Adult Basic Education/Literacy Program. In the years since its conception, the Collierville Literacy Council has expanded to include personalized tutoring services for adults who are preparing to take their General Educational Development tests which, when passed, certify that the test taker has American high school-level academic skills, and for those who wish to learn English as a learned language. A Volunteer Board of Directors governs the council. As a 501(c)3 non-profit organization, the council provides its services with only a small registration and assessment fee. In 2012, the council received accreditation from ProLiteracy America. As an affiliate of ProLiteracy America, the council offers nationally approved training through certified instructors for all of its volunteer tutors. The council welcomes individuals from all backgrounds who wish to volunteer as tutors, office staff, or in other areas as their talents lead them. The Collierville Literacy Council’s primary funding comes from the United Way of the Mid-South and the Town of Collierville, along with donations from local businesses and individuals. Saint Andrew’s helps to sponsor the annual Scrabble tournament and hosts coffees for adults in ELL. Please contact the Collierville Literacy Council if you would like to help tutor.
Page Robbins Adult Day Center began as an outgrowth from the work of compassionate individuals in the Collierville area. Collierville United Methodist Church housed a caregiver support group, whose members recognized a need in their community: caring for individuals with Alzheimer’s disease and related dementias, caring for their caregivers, and providing much needed respite. Through the efforts of these caregivers and the community at large, Page Robbins was formed. Collierville Alzheimer’s Day Care Center opened in 1995 and was located in Collierville Christian Church for six years. As the program grew, a larger facility was needed to accommodate future clients and activities. In 2003, when the program moved to its current location on Houston Levee Road, its name was changed to Page Robbins Adult Day Care Center. The Halle and Robbins family donated the land on which the center currently resides. Julia Page Robbins was a woman who enjoyed engaging in and serving her community. The center bearing her name is a tribute to her passion for her community and her efforts to serve the elderly and keep them in their homes. Page Robbins Adult Day Center functions as an independent, non-profit agency with oversight of operations and professional staff conducted by a volunteer board of directors. The center receives no government funding. Funding comes in the form of client fees and various charitable donations. Client fees bring in far less than what is needed to operate the center.
The Young Men’s Christian Association’s mission is to put Christian principles into practice through programs that build healthy spirit, mind and body for all. The Memphis YMCA was organized in 1855 only 11 years after the movement was born in London, England. For the first years of its existence, the Memphis YMCA, like the international movement, was a lay-evangelical fellowship of young men united by a common loyalty to Jesus Christ. From the late 1860s, the Memphis YMCA, like most YMCAs in the South, became inactive due the Civil War and the local Yellow Fever epidemics of the 1870s. After this period of inactivity, the Memphis YMCA was permanently reorganized in 1883. A room was rented over a store on Main Street, a few simple furnishings acquired, a modest library installed, and the association was underway. In 1907, Thomas B. King and John R. Pepper were president and vice-president of the association. Feeling the need for facilities, the Memphis YMCA conducted a Building Fund Campaign and purchased a site at the corner of Fourth and Madison. Plans were announced to construct a seven-story building on the site. Elias Porter was president by the time the building funds were raised. The magnificent seven-story building was dedicated on October 27, 1909 by U.S. President William Howard Taft, accompanied by governors from twenty-seven U.S. states. Among those present was Governor Malcolm R. Patterson of Tennessee, along with most of Memphis’s 131,105 inhabitants. The first building at 245 Madison Avenue has been open for more than 100 years, serving the youth and adults of Memphis. Since 1909, the YMCA, like Memphis, has grown and branched out in many directions. Schilling Farms is one of the YMCA’s locations throughout the Memphis area.
In 1939, Jim Rayburn, a young Presbyterian youth leader and seminary student in Gainesville, Texas, was given a challenge. A local minister invited him to consider the neighborhood high school as his parish and develop ways of contacting kids who had no interest in church. Rayburn started a weekly club for kids. There was singing, a skit or two, and a simple message about Jesus Christ. Club attendance increased dramatically when they started meeting in the homes of young people. After graduating from seminary, Rayburn and four other seminarians collaborated, and Young Life was officially born on October 16, 1941. They developed the club idea throughout Texas, with an emphasis on showing kids that faith in God can be not only fun, but exhilarating and life-changing. By 1946, Young Life had moved to a new headquarters in Colorado Springs, Colorado. Volunteer leadership began at Wheaton College in Illinois in the late 1940s, and today Young Life clubs depend heavily on the mission’s volunteer leaders. Young Life’s outreach to kids outside the USA began in 1953 with the work of Rod and Fran Johnston in France. That ministry, under the name of Jeunesse Ardente, continues to this day. In the decades since, Young Life’s international outreach has expanded. Young Life’s mission remains to introduce adolescents to Jesus Christ and to help them grow in their faith. This happens when caring adults build genuine friendships and earn the right to be heard with their young friends. Collierville Young Life is the name of the ministry that oversees the local club minstries at Collierville High School, St. George’s High School, St. George’s Middle School and one Club for Schilling Farms and Collierville Middle Schools.
The purpose of the Family Violence Council of Collierville is to educate members of the community about family violence and direct victims to available resources. The Family Violence Council of Collierville is a 501(c)3 organization that has been assisting victims of domestic violence in Collierville and the surrounding area for years. The council provides resources to domestic violence victims including emergency shelter (24-48 hour stay), temporary shelter (30-60 days stay), free group counseling, and education and informational resources and materials. The council works closely with the Collierville Police Department. A program has been developed in which the council has immediate contact with a victim once a police report is filed. Various resources are offered to the victim and the contact number for the council’s resource line is given in the event of any further questions. In addition, the council has volunteers trained to assist domestic violence victims in the courtroom. The advocates provide information about the court process, legal resources available to victims, information on the procedure for obtaining an Order of Protection, and they accompany victims to court. Help developing a safety plan for his/herself and any minor children is also available. As a small grassroots organization made up solely of community volunteers, the Family Violence Council of Collierville operates exclusively on private donations and funds received through grants.
And who is my neighbor? … The one who showed him mercy. (Luke 10:25-37)
Greater Memphis Area/Diocesan
Outreach at Saint Andrew’s makes an impact outside of Collierville, helping agencies in the Diocese of West Tennessee and in Memphis.
Dr. Scott Morris, a family practice physician and ordained United Methodist minister, founded Church Health in 1987 to provide quality, affordable healthcare for working, uninsured people and their families. Thanks to a broad base of financial support from the faith community, and the volunteer help of doctors, nurses, dentists, and others, the Church Health Clinic has grown to become the largest faith-based healthcare organization of its type in the United States. Currently, the clinic cares for patients without relying on government funding. Fees are charged on a sliding scale based on income. The average visit costs about $25. Church Health believes we have a responsibility to take care of the bodies God gave us, so it is committed to health education and prevention. Its wellness ministry offers everything from personalized exercise plans and cooking classes to group exercise classes and activities for children and teens. Church Health Wellness is open to the entire community, with fees charged on a sliding scale based on family size and income. Church Health also provides the support, consultation, and education to start or strengthen health ministries in congregations. Since 1988, Congregational Health Promoters have been trained to be health leaders within their congregations. Faith Community Outreach also develops faith-health curriculum for congregations and collaborates with faith communities in other ways as well. The MEMPHIS Plan is Church Health’s employer-sponsored healthcare plan for small business and the self-employed. By relying on donated services from volunteer doctors and area hospitals and laboratories, the MEMPHIS Plan offers uninsured people in lower-wage jobs access to quality, affordable healthcare and promotes healthy bodies and spirits for all. There are volunteer opportunities for healthcare professionals, gardeners, anyone who would like to do light office work, and more. Please contact Church Health for volunteer opportunities.
The Emmanuel Center serves people through programs that inspire spiritual, physical, and educational growth. The center provides recreational activities and continued learning and developing programs that include spiritual direction, social service programs, educational enrichment, and organized sports. The center started in 1989, when the Rev. Colenzo J. Hubbard and his late wife Debra were called to minister in South Memphis, one of the poorest neighborhoods in the USA. Father Hubbard’s background in administrative organization, coupled with his dedication in creating new opportunities to offer the word of the Lord, became the backbone of this ministry. The primary focus of this ministry has been, and continues to be, to assist children and adults in the public housing developments and surrounding community in the areas of evangelism, education, social services, community relations and sports. The center was born as Emmanuel Episcopal Center, an outreach of the Episcopal Diocese of West Tennessee for its first 24 years. In 2004, Charles Gerber along with Father Hubbard and Debra became founding board members of Promise Academy Charter School. Promise Academy now has two locations, oneat the old Hollywood Elementary School in North Memphis, and the other at Spring Hill Elementary in Raleigh. The Emmanuel Center conducts the after school activities at both Promise Academy locations, as well as at the center location on St. Paul Avenue. In 2013,the center branched out from the Episcopal Diocese of West Tennessee and was renamed the Emmanuel Center. The center’s long-standing mission, however, remains the same—breaking the cycle of poverty through education and strengthening young minds, bodies and spirits within a context of Christian witness. The center has forged a partnership with Memphis Leadership Foundation, which provides administrative and human resources support. Saint Andrew’s participates in Operation Backpack each summer, which provides school supplies, backpacks, and school clothing for the children at Emmanuel Center.
Freewill Shelter & Outreach
Freewill Shelter & Outreach, located in Humboldt, TN, provides shelter and job training for people who have drug and alcohol addiction. The 90-day rehab program offers church services and Bible study, separate shelters for men and women, a soup kitchen and thrift shop. The Shelter also offers aid and support to the homeless.
The mission of The Metropolitan Inter-Faith Association (MIFA) is to support the independence of vulnerable seniors and families in crisis through high-impact programs. MIFA was founded in 1968 to find a solution for poverty and racial division in Memphis. In a cooperative effort by church leaders and laypersons, the seed was planted for an organization that would thrive. Early in 1968, Rabbi James Wax and the Memphis Ministers Association submitted “An Appeal to Conscience” to The Commercial Appeal, the predominant daily newspaper of Memphis and its surrounding metropolitan area. In February of that year, the sanitation workers’ strike began, highlighting the injustices of low wages and poor working conditions. When Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. was assassinated on a trip to Memphis to address the strike, the fury, grief and mistrust that followed widened the chasm between the races. Following Dr. King’s death, area churches intent on healing the city’s wounds realized they would have to come together to accomplish anything. In September 1968, MIFA was born. The following year, the organization hired Methodist minister Berkeley Poole as its first executive director. After Poole resigned in 1971, Gid Smith and Bob Dempsey were hired as co-executive directors. Smith and Dempsey transformed MIFA into an organization focused on direct action. MIFA’s long-standing relationship with volunteers began when its first VISTA (Volunteers in Service to America) contract was awarded in 1974. When MIFA began consistently securing grants, it had everything it needed to flourish: organized administrators, a dedicated workforce, sufficient funding and a growing success rate. Saint Andrew’s delivers MIFA meals on the fifth Friday. Please contact Barbara Jones for more information.
Since 1979, Methodist Hospice care has been provided in Memphis by an interdisciplinary team of doctors, nurses, social workers, chaplains, home health aides and volunteers. Patients may continue to see their own physician while receiving hospice care. The Methodist Hospice team will work with the physician on an individualized plan of care for the patient. When a cure is not possible and you and your family decide comfort and quality of life are most important, the Methodist Hospice team is available to provide hospice care. Hospice is available for adults or children whose life expectancy is six months or less. Should you experience a change in prognosis, however, other options remain available to you. Hospice services include pain control and symptom management, including home medical equipment; physical, speech and occupational therapy; admission to the hospital if acute symptoms require a short hospital stay; volunteers to help run errands, sit with you for short periods, and, at times, provide transportation; and, inpatient, residential or respite care at Methodist Hospice Residence. A place like home for those with a short time to live, Methodist Hospice Residence is a site for families and friends to share in the last days of a loved one’s life. The hospice team also supports your family during this time by providing caregiver education, so your family and other caregivers can care for you; personal attention that emphasizes your role in making decisions; support groups and counseling, even after hospice care ends; bereavement consultations and services to anyone in the greater Memphis region; and, Camp BraveHearts, a family camp for those who have experienced the death of a loved one.
BRIDGES unites and inspires young people to become confident and courageous leaders committed to community transformation. BRIDGES helps youth and adults find their voice, experience their power, and build positive relationships in order to create strong lives and extraordinary communities. In 1922, women from Calvary Episcopal Church and St. Mary’s Episcopal Cathedral in Memphis established the Church Mission of Help, based on an outreach mission begun at Trinity Episcopal Church in New York City in 1913. The focus was on “wayward and delinquent women and girls over 16 who found themselves in difficulty.” The program was run by volunteers until 1924 when the first staff person was hired, Theresa de Birmingham, as executive secretary. In 1925, Agnes Grabau became executive secretary and served in that capacity until 1960. The agency’s name was changed to Youth Service in 1947 and its mission was expanded to include boys and to provide vocational counseling in 1948. In 1962, the agency was incorporated as an independent non-profit organization. The Rev. Donald E. Mowery was hired as executive director in 1963 and served until 1994 when he retired. During this period, the agency became one of the first in Memphis to integrate its programs. Close ties to government agencies and Memphis City Schools developed. In 1988, a community volunteer, Rebecca Webb Wilson, brought a program called Bridge Builders® to Youth Service. Her idea was to bring together high school students from diverse backgrounds for summer conferences and year-long activities that would build leadership skills while simultaneously forging ties between future leaders of the community. Today, the Bridge Builders® Program involves youth representing every high school in Memphis and Shelby County. In 1995, The Rev. James R. Boyd became president of Youth Service. Jim brought a new vision, one based on entrepreneurial approach to social services that lessened the agency’s reliance on government subsidies. In 1996, the agency’s name was changed to BRIDGES.
The primary mission of the Neighborhood Christian Centers, Inc. is to build stronger families and neighborhoods by providing compassionate, Christ-centered ministries to those in need. Though Neighborhood Christian Centers, Inc. was established in 1978, the ministry actually began years earlier. Dr. JoeAnn Ballard was born in rural Mississippi to a poverty-ridden family. When she was three months old, her parents separated and she was placed in the home of a great aunt and uncle. Though this home was also financially poor, it was filled with love. Through the years, her foster father lovingly raised over 45 foster children. After graduating from college in West Virginia, JoeAnn moved to Memphis to take her first job, in which she re-opened the doors of a church by starting a Sunday school program. After a short time in Memphis, JoeAnn married Monroe Ballard, a young schoolteacher. Together, they began a personal ministry to young people. What started with bringing needy children into their home over weekends turned into a full-time ministry. The Ballard’s home was often filled to capacity. In order to accommodate so many children, they turned their two-bedroom home into a nine-bedroom home and worked various jobs to pay expenses. Since 1968, the Ballards have been foster parents to 75 children, all of them living with JoeAnn, Monroe, and their four children for at least a year. In 1979, local churches and agencies saw the need for an urban neighborhood center and chose JoeAnn to be at the helm of Neighborhood Christian Centers, Inc. (NCC), which has grown exponentially, offering programs and services in almost every Memphis zip code. The people who walk through the doors of NCC are distrustful of the government system and frustrated by the red tape of agencies. They are frequently unemployed but often don’t know how to fill out a job application or dress for a job interview. Their children are dropping out of school and falling by the wayside. In the midst of what seems hopeless to many, NCC shines a light of hope, striving to break the cycle of poverty and dependence. To those in need, NCC has come to be identified as a source of hope; to donors and volunteers, the organization has built a solid reputation as an established and effective means to respond to the needs of the poor.
In 1981, The Rev. Robert Watson, Ph.D. officially began seeing clients at the Episcopal Counseling Center located in downtown Memphis in a newly refurbished classroom at Calvary Episcopal Church. Bob was a part-time counselor for the center, and his primary work was campus ministry at Memphis State University’s Barth House. The story behind this counseling ministry began as part of a downtown church’s revitalization plans. Several Episcopal clergy and laity, principally Doug Bailey, then rector of Calvary Episcopal Church and Calvary’s Outreach Committee, perceived the need to provide “consciously Christian” pastoral counseling to the growing downtown community. As Calvary Episcopal Church sought to revitalize its urban ministry, the Calvary Outreach Committee identified the need for a downtown counseling center as a first priority. In 1986, the Episcopal Counseling Center sought affiliation with the Samaritan Institute, a national accrediting organization for pastoral counseling centers. The center, newly renamed the Samaritan Center of the Mid-South, was accredited for three years in 1987. New sites would open at St. John’s Episcopal Church in Memphis, St. George’s Episcopal Church in Memphis, and St. Mary’s Episcopal Church in Dyersburg. The Samaritan Counseling Centers of the Mid-South currently offer a ministry of healing to those seeking a balance of emotional, relational and spiritual health. Responding to the psychological and educational needs of individuals, families, couples and groups by providing an environment of compassion and confidentiality in which feelings are honored, values are upheld, and resources are available to ensure that financial limitations never preclude care.
Mid-South Food Bank serves children by distributing food through its partner agencies, and through two child hunger programs – Kids Cafe and the Food for Kids BackPack Program. The Kids Cafes provide nutritious meals twice a week in a safe environment, where children are served by volunteers and have an opportunity to learn the importance of nutritious eating. The Food for Kids BackPack Program provides a backpack filled with nutritious, child-friendly food for children to take home for the weekend. Each backpack contains six complete meals and some fun, nutrition information activities. The majority of food recipients are reached through Hunger’s Hope and the Mobile Pantry. Hunger’s Hope distributes food and other groceries through a network of partner agencies, which include food pantries, soup kitchens, shelters, youth programs, senior programs, rehabilitation and residential centers. The Mobile Pantry provides direct delivery of fresh produce, frozen meat and other perishable foods on a regular basis to designated, underserved communities. Through its Senior Nutrition Program, Mid-South Food Bank distributes food specifically to seniors. Each Senior Grocery food box contains food for a senior to prepare and consume at home. There is enough food to supplement their diets for about one month in each box.
In 2006, Diane Hight saw a story in the news of an elderly woman riding in a race car. Having that experience had always been this woman’s dream. Her wish was fulfilled by Never Too Late, a senior wish organization in Indiana. “Instantly, I knew this was what I wanted to do. I’ve had a passion for senior citizens my entire life,” said Hight. Forever Young Senior Wish Organization came to life in Memphis with the guidance of Never Too Late President Bob Haverstick. The name Forever Young speaks for itself; no matter the age, a person always feels young at heart. Forever Young works to change the image of aging and redefine it with self-confidence, respect, and a hopeful life for seniors. “For surely I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord, plans for your welfare and not for harm, to give you a future with hope” (Jeremiah 29:11). This verse from Scripture has become the foundation for the organization’s mission. In 2009, Forever Young found a huge need in the senior adult community. Many World War II veterans had not seen that National WWII Memorial in Washington D.C. That’s when the mission of the organization changed to honoring senior veterans. Hundreds of World War II and Korean War veterans have now been honored through trips to Washington D.C., Normandy, and Pearl Harbor. An organization that was birthed out of a news story is now making news on its own. Forever Young Senior Wish is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization. All donations are tax-deductible.
St. Columba Conference and Retreat Center, a community outreach ministry of The Episcopal Diocese of West Tennessee, is a 145-acre wooded center that hosts business retreats, church functions, arts guilds, and various events. The setting is secluded and peaceful, and yet less than twenty minutes from the heart of Memphis. St. Columba is also home to Memphis’s famous Mud Camp, serving rising 1st-6th graders for memorable day camp experiences each summer. Ownership of the acres that make up St. Columba dates back to the Shivers family, who moved from North Carolina in the 1800s. After the tragic death of their infant children in the 1850s, the Shivers moved to California and sold the land to the Scheibler family. Dr. James Scheibler and his wife used the property as a second home. Like many other German families who lived in Memphis, the veterinarian and his wife survived Yellow Fever epidemics because they came to stay at their summer home outside the city. Dr. Scheibler was responsible for starting Shelby County’s first public health department. The Scheiblers were members of The Episcopal Church. They were instrumental in building St. Elisabeth’s Episcopal Church in its original Raleigh location and remained members of that parish until their deaths. The Scheibler’s children, Jim and Beatrice, grew up cherishing the land. Jim never married and lived on the St. Columba property all his life. Beatrice married into the Gerber’s Department Store family and moved away. But, after her husband was killed in an unsolved homicide in Mississippi, she moved back to the property to live with her brother. Jim Scheibler and Beatrice Scheibler Gerber bequeathed the property to The Diocese of Tennessee. The land was organized as the conference center in 1971 by the Rt. Rev. W. Fred Gates, Jr. Bishop Gates named the center after Columba, who founded a monastery on the Scottish isle of Iona that became a haven for spiritual renewal and refreshment. Bishop Gates envisioned St. Columba as “a refuge for reflection and prayer…a place where modern-day Christians can renew their spirit and faith and go forth with new zeal for ministry.” Today, the common vision of the Scheibler family and The Diocese of West Tennessee for a place of renewal is thriving. St. Columba Conference and Retreat Center is a nonprofit, 501(c)(3) organization supported by the Diocese of West Tennessee and individual donors.
Good Samaritan Church and Outreach Ministries.
The Rev. Norman Redwing has had a long relationship with our rector pre-dating his arrival at St. Andrews. At that time, Norman was an inner-city youth minister and St. Andrews provided opportunities for VBS and social experiences for these children. An annual dinner around Thanksgiving provided a chance to pray and eat together. We have also funded Thanksgiving and Christmas for many families. Over the years this partnership blossomed into close relationships. In recent times, Norman was ordained and we have helped fund this church as well as provide needed financial resources to the people whom he serves. As this ministry continues to grow and shift, we look forward to new opportunities to work together as members of the one church of Jesus Christ.